Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Against the Wall - Identify Me 7"



Despite their limited discography (consisting only of two demos, a 7" and a song on the "Generations of Hope" compilation) Southern California's Against the Wall remain among my favorites of the late 80's/early 90's California hardcore scene. A lot of ATW's, slower, heavier riffs bring to mind their New York contemporaries in Judge, but unlike Judge they aren't afraid to mix it up with more melodic "groove" ala later Turning Point material (see: the chorus of "Burning" and much of "It Wears Thin") and solid straight-forward fast parts. If you aren't into the later TP material, don't let that comparison sway you because every song on Identify Me is still hard, fast, and everything a traditional hardcore song should be. The lyrics are pretty standard fare about personal struggle and ambiguous songs about hardcore/straight edge/personal politics. Members went on to more popular and more frequently namechecked bands like Ignite, Outspoken, Amendment 18 and Mean Season, but I'd take this record over any single record from any of those bands.

Ever since I've played in bands I've wanted to cover the intro to "It's Time" because the drums sound so huge and the riff makes me lose my mind every time I hear it.

Against the Wall - Identify Me

7 comments:

blend77 said...

hey man, i remember this band... good stuff...

isnt there another band called Another Wall??

for some reason, even though they dont sound alike, i always grouped these bands together based on name...

Against The Wall
Another Wall
4 Walls Falling
Falling Forward.

i dont know... Falling Forward doesnt even "wall" in the title...

i'll get you a link up on Zen later today.

keep up the good work!!

Stephen said...

Thanks man. Yeah, all of those names kinda blend together, but they are all good bands in their own right. Another Wall was from CT and released a 7" on Doghouse after they broke up One of the guys that was in Antarctica and is now in a good band called Blacklist.

http://www.myspace.com/blacklistmusic

Terry said...

Thanks Stephen, you hooked me up with this over on blend's site. I'll be watching your site from now on...I see you dig the Hum and Failure...good on ya! I'm pulling in the DM cover by Failure right now as I lost it some time ago...

Stephen said...

terry - thank you for checking out my blog. let me know how you think that ATW 7" holds up for you. I think that thing is so good.

nathandylan said...

any chance you can re-up this? i just bought the 7" but dont have a working turn table at the moment. probably havent heard this record in a good 10 years!

Stephen said...

Nathan -

I re-upped this for you. Thanks for checking out my blog.

Travis Guichard said...

Great record! Travis Hunt (T9)- Rest in peace good buddy. Lova ya.